Apple have announced that a "very small number of customers" with 13-inch and 15-inch MacBook Pro notebooks from Late 2016 and Mid 2017 have experienced an issue with the battery not charging past 1% and a battery health status of "Service Recommended".
It appears that the issue may have been caused by a previous software update. It is recommended all users update to macOS Big Sur 11.2.1 or later, or install the macOS Catalina 10.15.7 supplemental update.
If you have been affected by this issue Apple will replace the battery free of charge upon inspection of the device. You can contact Apple to arrange a repair here.
The full list of models affected are;
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) A1708
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Two Thunderbolt 3 Ports) A1708
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2016, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) A1706
- MacBook Pro (13-inch, 2017, Four Thunderbolt 3 Ports) A1706
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2016) A1707
- MacBook Pro (15-inch, 2017) A1707
You can identify your computer's model by clicking the Apple sign, then About This Mac.